Progression systems have seen all sorts of innovation lately. F2P, MMOs, and incremental games (In a Dark Room, Cookie Clicker, Gridland) all do fascinating things to ease the learning curve and keep players engaged long term.
- Tools we can use to make new progression systems
- Common and uncommon existing variations (leveling, unlocking, events, drops, etc)
- Techniques for mixing and matching existing systems (feedback loops, internal economies)
- Ways of introducing meaningful choice.
- Common design goals for the progression system and how we might meet them.