Here’s a Subversive Game Design Concept that might have some legs —
RPG game systems are built on a conceptual foundation of colonization without consequence. Systems that enable players to explore, exploit, refine, industrialize, and extract value from the world, either natural or social, are often the basis for our crafting systems & tech trees.
So what experiments could we propose for RPG game systems that simulate a different approach to resource & social engagement?
- What types of games already exist with systems we can learn from?
- What are ways to reframe existing colonization simulation systems to make seeking balance fun?
- Who are the players who would be drawn to games where there are there fun ways to explore while pursuing balance and fairness?
- Do some types of game systems support and enhance that pursuit?
- How will players simmered in western value systems perceive or understand these systems, if we can even propose them?
- Your question here!